* Wood deteriorates in due course of time.
* Wood gets warped and prone to decay.
* Wood gets destroyed by insects such as betel, white ants, bores etc.
* Wood absorbs and releases moisture with variations in weather conditions.
* Painting is required for its due preservation.
* None of the above defects can develop in Ferrocement.
* Ferrocement joists, panels, planks, doors, shelves can be made.
* Ferrocement plate shuttering is used as an alternative to wooden shuttering, but recommended as a lost shuttering because it adds considerable strength to the structure.
* Ferrocement being a very good fire proof material it can be used in furniture, such as wall cupboard, shelves and false ceiling work in the buildings.